At least 75 people have been killed in southern France tonight, after a truck reportedly drove into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day.
Shocking footage from Nice shows bodies lying in the street after the incident earlier this evening.
Anti-terror police are on the streets as crowds fled the scene of the crash, in a country still tense after a string of devastating attacks.
Regional newspaper Nice Matin quoted its own reporter at the scene saying there were many injured people and blood on the street.
It published a photograph of a damaged, long-distance delivery truck, which it said was “riddled with bullets” and images of emergency services treating the injured.
Residents are being told to stay indoors as the emergency services work at the scene.
KEY EVENTS SO FAR
No claim of responsibility – but ISIS supporters continue to celebrate
Supporters of Islamic State continued to celebrate the deaths of 77 people in Nice on social media.
No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack during Bastille Day celebrations.
One fan tweeted: “The number of those killed had reached 62 french crusaders and sinful infidels in Nice, France.. God is great, God is great.”
Text messages show desperate victim caught up in terror text friend- “I’m going to die”
Heartbreaking tweets and images of people searching for loved ones are flooding in on social media.
One particular harrowing appeal shows a friend searching desperately after she received messages from her friend as she ran away from the horror.
— recherche nice (@Avis2recherche) July 15, 2016
In the texts, the girl tells her friend she loves her before saying she is going to die. Disturbingly, she does not text again as her friend begs her to reply.
Witness: “It’s a war scene”
A shocked Olivier Le Foll, Itele special correspondent at Nice, struggled to find the words to describe what he had scene.
He said: “It was an absolute nightmare. The ground was covered with bodies.
“There was an apocalyptic feeling with covers being put over bodies over 300 to 400m.
“There are dozens of injured – 60 to 70, maybe more, as far as I can see. It’s a war scene. It’s absolutely horrific.”
Unnerving video captured by witness emerges
A bystander has posted footage of the French army rushing along the promenade as tonight’s horrific events unfolded.
The terrified witness captioned the video that they were worried the terror ‘wasn’t over yet’ as they cowered away, unaware what was happening.
Death toll rises to 77
According to latest reports, 77 people have been killed and 16 are absolutely critical.
A further 31 people are seriously injured, a police source told Le Figaro.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweets condolences
Canadians are shocked by tonight’s attack in Nice. Our sympathy is with the victims, and our solidarity with the French people.
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) July 14, 2016
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted his condolences to the victims of the terror attack. The Canadian premier posted the message in both French and English, representing the link the two countries share.
Barack Obama and other world leaders have also paid tribute.
Police check a car
Social media appeal to trace missing loved ones
Distraught friends and relatives have taken to Twitter in a bid to trace loved ones missing after the terror attack in Nice.
SOS NICE @urgencesnice is posting pictures and descriptions of possible witnesses and casualties believed to have been in the area at the time of the attack.
30 children being treated- 3 or 4 with serious head injuries
Local French media is reporting 30 children are amongst those being treated, and up to 4 of them with serious head injuries.
The current death toll is 75, and could continue to rise after a van drove into a crowd watching a fireworks display.
Reports continue that the driver of the van shot at people from the window as he ploughed through the crowd.
Terror cops take over probe
Anti-terror police have arrived in Nice to take-over from local police as death toll continues to rise.
Several French media sources have reported that the investigation is now with anti terror cops.
Rescue workers help an injured woman to get in an ambulance
New footage appears to have the sound of gunshots ringing out as people cower in fear.
Reports continue to come in that in addition to driving into the crowd, the assailant opened fire and sprayed revellers with bullets.
The death toll is currently believed to be at 75.
Driver ‘fired on the crowd’
Christian Estrosi, president of the region, said: “This is the worst disaster in the history of Nice as more than 70 people have already lost their lives, killed by the driver as he fired at the crowds ahead of him.
“We are terrified and we want to express our sincere condolences to the families involved.”
“Today, we must act. We are currently in touch with the State authorities who are dealing with this crisis,” he added.”
A victim lies in the road in Nice
Obama condemns attack
President Barack Obama said he condemned a deadly attack in Nice and offered any assistance France needs to investigate.
“On behalf of the American people, I condemn in the strongest terms what appears to be a horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France, which killed and wounded dozens of innocent civilians,” Obama said in a statement.
At least 75 people were killed and dozens injured when a truck slammed into a crowd in the French Riviera city during Bastille Day celebrations.
Where the attack took place
The Promenade des Anglais is a celebrated walkway along the Mediterranean that extends from the airport on the west to the Quai des États-Unis on the east, a distance of approximately 4 miles.
Nice is the capital of the French Riviera, with a population of almost 350,000.
Patrick Calvar, head of domestic intelligence in France, said he was “convinced” that Daesh was going to change its method of operation.
He particularly feared the terrorist organisation has passed “the stage of car bombs and explosive devices.”
As yet no organisation has taken credit for the tragedy
French President Hollande is currently in the situation room
Presidente Hollande is currently charing a meeting in the situation room after the terror attack in Nice.
President Hollande presides over a meeting in the Situation Room
The death toll continues to rise with the 74 people currently believed to bed dead with 42 more critically injured.
It is believed most were killed when the truck ploughed the crowd but reports continue that shots were also fired.
A man cordons off the area on the seafront
‘People of Nice, we are beside each and every one of you’
The Mayor of Nice Christian Estrosi tweeted a picture from the fireworks shortly before the attack.
The series of tweets that followed shared his city’s horror at the attack.
He posted: “Dear people of Nice, a truck driver seems to have killed dozens of people.
“A crazy truck drove at high speed into the crowd which had assembled on the Promenade to watch the 14 July fireworks.
“It’s the worst incident in Nice’s history because we are already mourn 70 victims.
Police forensic officers stand next to the truck
“We are terrified and wish to send all the families concerned our sincereit is time to act.
“We are taking stock of the situation with the bodies which are managing this crisis situation.
“Dear people of Nice, we are beside each and every one of you with all our hearts.
“We will carry on. I’m proud of the solidarity which is showing itself, and of being from Nice.
Beach becomes makeshift field hospital
At least 40 people are seriously injured
A beach has become a makeshift field hospital following tonight’s atrocity.
According to local media, the city’s Hi Beach has become a place to treat the many wounded.
So far 74 people have been killed.
French cartoonist posts moving tribute
French cartoonist Plantu has paid tribute to the city of Nice with a moving tweet.
— PLANTU (@plantu) July 14, 2016
Plantu, real name Jean Plantureux, shared an image of the map of France with a weeping dove inside it.
Heartbreakingly, the political satirist had just earlier shared a joyous image for Bastille day
Islamic State celebrates the attack on social media
Supporters of Islamic State have celebrated the horrific attack on social media.
“The number of those killed had reached 62 french crusaders and sinful infidels in Nice, France.. God is great, God is great,” read one tweet.
Almost exactly eight months ago Islamic State militants killed 130 people in Paris.
Everything we know so far
Soldiers have flooded the streets
At least 74 people have been killed and 40 critically injured in Nice after a truck ploughed into a crowd of Bastille Day revellers tonight.
The city is in lockdown as the casualty figures and who is responsible emerges.
74 dead, 42 critical
The death toll continues to rise as French media reports 74 people are now dead in the atrocity. Nice Matin, the local paper for the French city has the update.
Most of the dead are believed to have been hit by the truck but there are also reports that the driver emerged from the truck shooting and sprayed the crowd with bullets.
Un nouveau bilan fait état de 74 morts et 42 blessés en urgence absolue #AttentatNice
— Nice-Matin (@Nice_Matin) July 14, 2016
‘It could only be a totally deliberate act’
74 people are thought to have been killed
An AFP journalist, still in shock after the attack, said: “The truck passed just beside me and I only had a few seconds to get to safety.
“I jumped out of the way. Debris was flying everywhere and I had to protect my face.
”It was “absolute chaos”. “People were screaming”.
He quickly realised “such a large truck travelling in a straight line” could only be “a totally deliberate act”.
The Foreign Office has updated its travel advice for France as a result of tonights attack.
A statement on the site says: “We are in touch with the local authorities and seeking more information following an apparent attack on Bastille Day celebration in Nice. If you are in the area follow the instructions of the French authorities.”
For more information click here.
Beach attendants ‘covered bodies with towels’
Stunned people in the aftermath of the attack
Journalist Damien Allemand, who was watching the fireworks in Nice, wrote:
“There was panic around me. People were running, screaming, crying.
“Then I realised and ran with them. There were bodies every five metres.
“Beach attendants were the first on the scene. They brought water for the injured and towels to cover the bodies.”
Taxis offering free rides to people caught up in attack
Taxi drivers in Nice are offering free rides to people trying to escape the chaos in Nice.
A Tweet by a local media outlet read: “The Nice taxis take everyone responsible for FREE to evacuate the Promenade des Anglais.”
The death toll is thought to be at least 73 people.
‘Bodies were flying like skittles’
Journalist Damien Allemand was watching the fireworks in Nice.
He said: “The road was thick with people. After the fireworks, people got up to go.
“At first he thought it was a kid who had let his firework off badly.
“A fraction of a second later a giant white truck flew into the crowd at a crazy speed, moving the wheel from side to side to hit as many people as possible.
“This death truck passed a few metres from me and I didn’t realise.
“I saw bodies flying like skittles as it passed. I heard sounds and screams I will never forget.”
Guns and grenades found in truck
A French parliamentarian has confirmed that guns and grenades were found in the truck, suggesting an organised and pre-planned attack.
No organisation has yet claimed responsibility.
Police investigation is trying to confirm whether the assailant was acting alone or whether accomplices might be on the loose.
‘This is our worst drama in the history of Nice’
A man sits with a victim on the seafront
The mayor of Nice has described the atrocity as the worst the city has seen.
Christian Estrosi said on Twitter: “This is the worst drama in the history of Nice with more than 70 victims already.”
Up to 100 people are injured – 50 of them seriously.
Donald Trump delays announcement of running mate due to Nice attack
Donald Trump has decided to postpone Friday’s VP announcement after the attack in Nice, which has left dozens dead.
Mike Pence, the governor of Indiana, is expected to be Trump’s running mate, multiple news outlets reported on Thursday.
According to CNN, Trump offered Pence the spot on his ticket and he accepted.
Donald Trump and Mike Pence
President Hollande tweets
The French president tweeted that he is in contact with prime minister Manuel Valls about the atrocity
— Élysée (@Elysee) July 14, 2016
President Hollande speaks with French Prime Minister Manuel Valls about Nice